Monday, August 14, 2006

dope-e behavior

I'm taking a chance with this blog post and diary entry. I know it will be initially upsetting to someone if anyone reads my blog, so here goes.
e-caps, sport legs, ephedrine...you name it, sport level racers are eating sport legs like candy in an effort to gain an edge over a fellow competitor. Why not just train smarter and eat better, accept your natural abilities as they are developed. The so called PRO level of racing in it's modern identity is a sham, a farce, snake oil, it's bullshit period, nothing more. The natural athletes are hidden under a vail or cloud of something that transcends athleticism entirely. This mentality has crept into amateur cycling, it truely has, no one can deny it, if you do, you are fooling yourself. If you want to race, just train and eat well, get the rest you need, live the life of an athlete in it's purest form, don't take "enhancements" training is the best enhancement, it prepares you for racing, so does racing, it throttles you up 2 rungs on the training ladder, or it can kick your teeth in, proverbially take you down a few rungs as well. e-caps, sport legs, any of this stuff is the beginings of developing a dependency on something other than whatever goods your parents gave you. What's wrong with being honest with yourself? I know some of the blogs I read there is mention of products that aid in recovery, that's fine, nutrition is crucial, but to injest something that is not natural to buffer lactic acid, or promotes agressive behavior is strange to me. If you can't do it because you aren't training or eating properly then what the fuck are you doing? So, if everyone takes sport legs, and I want to race and be competitive, and not be off the back and lapped, does that mean I have to do sport legs to compete against someone who I know is not naturally as strong as me, or do I know how strong this person really is? How have they been training, are they training or just eating supplements to compensate for a lack of dedication or true love of the sport. Bloggers, I love you all, but why not just train and eat well, live the life an athlete needs to live to be competitive, have fun and not cloud our sport with anything other than the dust we create from our natural ability on the bike?

1 comment:

gwadzilla said...

nice PSA...

okay...

do you have sport legs in your shop?
are you trying to use reverse psychology to get us to head over and buy this stuff?

http://www.sportlegs.com/about/welcome.asp

I hear what you are saying....

what about coffee or red bull?